In another reading, you were introduced to examples of job responsibilities in digital marketing coordinator and e-commerce analyst roles. This reading summarizes other associate or entry-level roles and responsibilities in digital marketing and e-commerce. At the end of the reading, you’ll find advice on how you can potentially progress from a starting role to roles with further growth opportunities.
Associate-level roles in digital marketing
Below are some examples of responsibilities for associate-level roles in digital marketing. These lists aren’t comprehensive but are intended to showcase a variety of responsibilities in each role.
Digital marketing coordinator*
- Coordinate marketing activities and initiatives
- Identify target audiences through research
- Run campaigns
- Monitor metrics to evaluate trends
* Also described in another video and reading
- Prepare reports on marketing and sales metrics
- Collect and analyze customer behavior metrics, such as web traffic and search rankings
- Coordinate with marketing teams to generate digital advertising materials
- Assist with ongoing marketing campaigns
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) specialist
- Develop optimization strategies to improve search rankings
- Implement keywords for SEO
- Monitor metrics to understand SEO performance
- Update links for optimization of search rankings
Search Engine Marketing (SEM) specialist
- Identify customer personas to enable marketing to identified audiences
- Perform research on keywords for SEO and Pay Per Click (PPC) ads
- Monitor metrics to optimize paid search performance
- Identify and monitor key performance indicators (KPIs) for SEM
Social media specialist
- Develop, implement, and manage a social media marketing strategy
- Collaborate with sales and marketing teams on social media campaigns
- Create content to build customer connections and increase brand awareness
- Monitor metrics in social media campaigns for customer engagement and content optimization insights
Email marketing specialist
- Create email marketing campaigns to promote products or services
- Create an archive of emails for lead generation
- Purge non-deliverable and unsubscribed email addresses
- Use metrics to monitor the performance of email campaigns
Associate-level roles in e-commerce
Below are some examples of responsibilities for associate-level roles in e-commerce. These lists aren’t comprehensive but are intended to showcase a variety of responsibilities in each role.
- Implement e-commerce strategies to support business goals
- Set e-commerce goals and key performance indicators (KPIs) for key attributes like audience, acquisition, behavior, and conversions
- Monitor and analyze e-commerce metrics
- Leverage e-commerce data for operational insights
* Also described in another reading
- Develop and run campaigns to increase digital sales as part of an overall digital marketing strategy
- Optimize paid advertising campaigns using SEO and other tools
- Manage an online marketing presence, including social media platforms
- Monitor metrics for spikes in website traffic or sales
Advance to roles that further your growth
Starting an entry-level role in marketing or e-commerce is exciting, but after you gain practical experience and hands-on work using tools in that role, you might be eager to advance your career.
If you’re ready for a new role, below are a few possibilities and a sampling of responsibilities for each.
Digital marketing manager
- Plan and execute digital marketing, including SEO/SEM, email, social media, and display advertising campaigns
- Measure and report performance and return on investment (ROI) for digital marketing
- Plan, execute, and evaluate A/B tests and experiments
- Evaluate and improve the end-to-end customer experience across multiple channels and customer touchpoints
Social media strategist
- Manage and oversee social media content
- Measure the success of social media campaigns
- Monitor and analyze metrics to recommend effective content optimization solutions
- Network with industry professionals and influencers using social media
- Build and maintain client relationships
- Ensure the timely and successful delivery of advertising solutions based on customer needs and objectives
- Clearly communicate the progress of initiatives to internal and external stakeholders
- Forecast and monitor key account metrics
E-commerce product manager
- Conduct market research
- Develop a product strategy for an e-commerce business based on analytics
- Define website and mobile app functionality, and deliver an optimal user experience for both
- Understand business objectives and coordinate efforts to increase sales
Career progression is very individualized. Sometimes it can take less than a year to be ready to advance to the next level; often it can take a few years. Here are three signs that you could be ready to progress to the next level.
- You consistently meet or exceed job-related performance goals.
- You’re assigned tasks associated with a higher-level role.
- You recently asked for more work while performing your job.
Keep in mind that your career can advance at a speed that is right for you. Always be ready and open to new opportunities by demonstrating a positive attitude and a growth mindset in whatever role you’re in!