Placement here, placement there… It seems Apple is adding a new ad placement every week.
So how do you squeeze every ounce of organic traffic? By making the most of your keywords list, of course.
Unfortunately, Apple caps the keyword list at 100 characters, meaning you can effectively type 10 to 12 words before you max out. Bummer.
… Unless you do what AppFigures recommends and take advantage of localization.
What’s locale got to do with it? See, Apple allows an additional 100 characters for different localizations, no matter the language.
ASO experts study which localizations are used in every country. For example, Apple US uses keyword lists for English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, and Arabic.
So by localizing your app in other languages, you can introduce 100s of new characters in English for every additional localization! For the case above, that means 500 new characters. Wow.
How do you add additional localizations? Just follow these steps:
- Log into your App Store connection. Go to My Apps and select an app you want to optimize.
- Create a new version by clicking on “Add new version or platform.”
- Click the language sector and select the language you want to add.
- Enter new keywords into the keywords list.
- Save changes.
Here are a few more tips that may help your apps to rank higher and get more downloads:
- Use long tail keywords. For example, an app providing guitar tabs might do well with a “learn to play guitar” query.
- Use extensions. Be more specific. If you’ve got a weather app, for example, add big city names to terms like “weather” or “forecast.”
- Try trending and seasonal keywords. Add temporary keywords for current events. Sports news apps could benefit with the keywords of a currently trending game.
- More keywords. And simplest of all, you can always just add keywords that you think could benefit your rankings. Go on and fill those gaps.
There you go! Using the tips above might help your app gain more organic traffic despite the flood of paid ad content. Good luck out there!