Previously, you learned about Google Ads and the different types of Google Ad formats. This reading will provide an overview of the seven steps to creating a responsive search ad based on your stated objective.
These instructions are based on the Google Ad interface, which offers guidance along the way.
You can opt to create a campaign without defining a goal for guidance by selecting the option when presented on screen.
Seven steps to create a Google Ad campaign
1. Define your campaign goal
Your goal is what you want to achieve with the ad. There are seven campaign objectives to choose from:
- Sales: drives sales online, in app, by phone or in store
- Leads: brings in leads and other conversions by encouraging customers to take action
- Website traffic: encourages people to visit your website
- Product and brand consideration: encourages people to explore your products or services
- Brand awareness and reach: reaches a broad audience and builds awareness
- App promotion: increases installs or promotions for your mobile app
- Local store visits and promotions: encourages customers to visit a physical store location
The Google Ads interface showing where users are prompted to select from eight options under “Choose your objective.”
2. Choose the campaign type
Next, choose your campaign type. Options include:
- Performance Max
The Google Ads interface. Users are prompted to select from six options under “select a campaign type.”
3. Set a budget
Once you select your campaign, move on to set your budget. For more information on setting your budget, visit the Google Ads Help Center.
The Google Ads interface is shown where users are prompted to enter an average daily budget amount for their campaign.
4. Choose your bidding strategy
Bidding strategies to review the different types.
The Google Ads interface is shown where users are prompted to select from a drop down menu of bidding strategies.
5. Select your targeting
Targeting helps define how narrow or broad your audience targeting will be. Your target categories include:
- Audience segments
The Google Ads interface is shown where users are prompted to select targets and languages for their campaign.
6. Create your ad
To create your ad, input information to determine how your ad will appear online. This includes:
- Final URL
- Display path
Be sure to include at least one of your keywords in your headlines, and create headlines that are relevant to the keywords you’re targeting. Also, use the ad strength indicator as a guide to improving the effectiveness of your ads. Ad strength provides you with feedback to help you focus on providing the right messages to your customers.
The Google Ads interface is shown where users are prompted to enter an Ad group name and keywords for their campaign.
7. Finalize your ad
Once you are ready, finalize your ad by adding your final URL and display path. Use the preview window on the screen to check how your ad will appear online.
The Google Ads interface is shown where users are prompted to review and finalize details for their campaign.
Resources for more information
For more information on creating a google ads campaign, visit the following resources:
- Create effective Search ads: This Google Help center article provides information for optimizing ads and messaging on Google Search.