In the next 200 words or so, we’ll give you our formula for a high-converting lead generation page.
First, here’s why you might care about our opinion:
- We’ve extensively tested our own homepage.
- We’ve worked with 100s of advertisers who send you, our readers, to their own lead gen pages.
- We’ve analyzed lots of lead gen pages from top brands.
Our formula? It’s super simple. A high-converting lead gen page typically has two things:
- Headline, subheader, and email capture box above the fold. These three things need to be above the fold both on desktop and on mobile. Most people who hit your landing page won’t scroll past here. They’ll decide in a split-second.
- A below-the-fold section with more context. We’ve tested our homepage both A) without a below-the-fold section and B) with a below-the-fold section that gives visitors more context. The winner is our current page, which has more copy below-the-fold. It almost never hurts to add more context for those rare undecided people who want to learn a little more before handing you their email.
What about the copy? Keep it simple. Give your readers one specific reason they should provide their email.
For an e-commerce brand, maybe it’s a $10 gift card. For a newsletter, it might be a value prop like ours: “We will make you a smarter marketer for free.”
The key is to deliver one important value prop quickly. Don’t muddle things up.
This formula has helped us significantly improve our conversion rate over time.